What Can Cause a UTI?

            A urinary tract infection (UTI), is an inflammatory infection of any part of the urinary system. Numerous factors can cause this inflammation, but what can cause a UTI? These factors include but are not limited to, physical abnormalities of the urinary tract, blockage of the urinary tract, catheter use, or a urinary procedure.

All of these can lead to several pathogens, becoming the second or root cause of infection. However, chronic or reoccurring UTI’s are at increased risk for UTI’s continuing through week 6 and week 24. Aperiomics Xplore-PATHO urine collection kit can help discover if any known pathogen is causing your symptoms. 

Types of Urinary Tract Infection 

Parts of an infected urinary tract

Signs and symptoms

Kidneys (pyelonephritis)
  • Upper back and side pain
  • Chills and Shakes
  • High fever
  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
Bladder (cystitis)
  • Discomfort in the lower abdomen
  • Frequent, painful urination
  • Pressure in the Pelvic area
  • Blood in urine
Urethra (urethritis)
  • Frequent, painful urination
  • Burning with urination
  • Discharge

 

What can Cause a UTI to Keep Coming Back? 

What can cause a UTI to be reoccurring? Often, in the case of UTI’s, pathogens enter the urinary tract from the outside to cause a UTI to come back. In contrast, a recurrent infection UTI can also be caused by bacteria that remain in the urinary tract after a previous infection of the urinary system is treated.

Currently, methods for urinary tract infections testing are outdated. Culture testing may lead to chronic infections in other parts of the urinary tract. However, only 10% of microbes grow in standard cultures. In contrast, this means the current standard method of testing leaves 90% of possible infections completely undiagnosed.

Other factors, such as genetics and the physical abnormalities of the urinary tract may also be a factor.

 

What can Cause a UTI in Males and Females 

            UTI’s are more common among women than men. Because of the male anatomy, it is much more difficult for a pathogen to enter their urinary system. Below is a list of factors that may increase both male and female chances of suffering from reoccurring UTI’s. 

  • Irritation caused by defects in the lining of the urinary bladder
  • Frequent exposure to bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infection(s)
  • Overstretching of the bladder
  • Pelvic floor muscle malfunction
  • Autoimmune disorders
  • Spinal cord trauma
  • Genetics
  • Allergies 

When Should I be Tested?

When it comes to diagnosing the cause of infections such as reoccurring interstitial cystitis, bladder infection, or Urinary Tract Infection. What happens in the biome of a urinary system, however, is complicated.  The Xplore-PATHO Urine collection kit is the most comprehensive microbial identification service in the world, identifying 100% of microbes known to modern science. Urine collection kits determine the root cause of a chronic infection caused by pathogens. As a result, your doctor has a comprehensive picture of what’s going on in your system.